Looking back at an eventful 2017, it’s hard to believe the New Year is already upon us. What did you accomplish in 2017? Did you finally perfect that Egyptian shimmy or create your first choreography? Maybe you participated in your first belly dance retreat and now want to make it a yearly ritual? Whatever you accomplished, take a moment to reflect on the past year and create a vision for 2018.
To make 2018 the best belly dance year yet, we came up with some fun resolutions for the soul.
- Free style dance for 10 minutes every day. Turn on your favourite Middle Eastern tunes and dance your heart out. It’s amazing how music can instantly provoke powerful emotions.
- Try a new activity, such as theatre, Latin dance, martial arts, or hip-hop, to enrich your belly dance style.
- Add strength and flexibility training to your weekly routine. Pilates, Yoga, and Barre are great cross training activities.
- Take a daily walk in nature, while listening to your favourite music. Use this time to daydream of yourself dancing. When you let your mind wander, you’ll find that your senses are heightened and you become open to creativity.
- Each time you create a new choreography, take the time to really study the essence of the music and lyrics. What emotions do you want to evoke with your audience? Think of exciting new ways to use movement to portray the feelings of your character.
- Who is your belly dance idol? Study their moves and create a one-of-a-kind choreography inspired by their style. At the end of the year, perform your choreography at a show, competition, or even just for social media.
- As a dancer, it’s easy to get lost in perfectionism. Make this the year to really enjoy every performance. The crowd will feel your positive energy!
- Express gratitude more often by acknowledging the people who’ve helped you become the dancer you are today.
With these resolutions in mind, whatever goals you achieve or don’t achieve in 2018, chances are you will have a joyful year filled with lots of belly dancing and great memories. Isn’t that what we all want at the end of the day anyway?
Happy New Year!